Wellman School District No. 79 (1887)
The school, built on the homestead of Harrison W. Wellman in the Southeast part of the county in 1887 is typical of many one-room country schools located in the Midwest at that time. The school district was formed in 1871. School was held in a log school building prior to building this one.
The school, moved to Old Jefferson Town in 1970. It was originally red and white. The school is furnished with all the amenities of its time: wood and iron desks, books and slates recitation bench, lunch box, water pail and dipper.
Wellman School was added to the One Room School House National Registry in 2009.