top of page


Founded 1872

Meriden Main Street

Oldest known photo of Meriden Main Street, circa 1885. Looking northwest at old bank located on the Northwest corner of Main Street and Saunders (Palmberg Street, lot #2. 

Writing on the building at the end of the street is "E.W. Metzger & Co." The tall man leaning against the wheel on the wagon is John McLucas, implement dealer in Meriden and Rock Creek.


To the left, two men stand on a wooden hay baler.


Photo from the Lila Martin Swafford collection, Topeka, Kansas

Information for this page provided by local historian Gary Bowen of Meriden, Kansas. Read the full text here.

Native Inhabitants

Starting with the first treaty signed by the Delaware tribe in 1829, the federal government had allocated land in these areas to emigrate nearly 30 tribes including the Cherokee, Chippewa, Delaware, Iowa, Iroquois, Kaskaskia, Kickapoo, Munsee, Ottawa, Peoria, Piankashaw, Potawatomi, Quapaw, Sac and Fox, Shawnee, Stockbridge, Wea, and Wyandot.


Although originally assured they would not have to move again, the opening of the Kansas Territory and arrival of settlers in 1854 would ultimately force their removal and movement off the land.

White Grass_edited.jpg
bottom of page